Who will ever reject the unique taste of the butter prawn? The creamy taste of the butter and the mild spiciness of curry leaves and bird’s eye chilli has given the heavenly delicious taste to the butter prawn. This dish is usually found in restaurant or wedding banquet. However, with this recipe, you can easily make it at home, especially for Chinese new year reunion dinner.
How To Fry The Prawn
This recipe contains two parts: Frying the prawn and making the egg floss. Frying the prawn is not a difficult task, the tips is to maintain the oil in high heat when frying the prawns. If you want to make it more crispy, you can fry it for two times. But remember not to fry for too long, otherwise, it will be overcooked. If you want to devein the prawns, try to keep the shell for better presentation and taste. Another important tip is to remember to dry the prawns after cleaning to prevent any splashing or injury 😯.
How To Make Egg Floss
Egg floss is the key to this dish, so we have to be careful when preparing it. To make the perfect egg floss, we have to use low heat temperature when frying the egg yolks. Pour slowly and swirl vigorously. Avoid pouring too fast or you will get a fried egg yolk 😳. When it’s bubbling, put all the spices and seasoning. In Malaysia, we will put some bird’s eye chilli to enhance the flavour.
Butter Prawn with Egg Floss
- 600 gram prawn
- Moderate corn starch
- 6 egg yolk
- 80 gram butter
- 2 bird's eye chilli cut
- Moderate curry leave
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chicken broth powder
- Clean and dry the prawn, then coat with corn starch.
- Fry the prawns until golden. To make the prawns more crispy. you may fry them for 2 times, but not too long to prevent overcooked.
- In low heat, melt the vegetables oil and butter in a pot.
- When the butter is melted, slowly pour in the egg yolks, swirl continuously.
- When it's bubbling, add the bird's eye chilli, curry leaves, salt, sugar and chicken broth powder. Mix well.
- Add the fried prawns, mix well.
- Filter the excess oil before serve