In many countries like China, Taiwan, Malaysia, Singapore, we celebrated the Dragon Boat Festival together during mid of the year and this has been a tradition of Chinese. Other than Dragon Boat race, another must-do during the festival is to eat the Zongzi, which is the sticky rice dumpling or Chinese tamales. It is a Chinese dish made of glutinous rice and we put a lot of filling inside such as pork belly, black-eyed peas, chestnut, and the salted egg (my favorite). Although there are many types of rice dumpling such as alkaline dumpling, crystal rice dumpling and etc, but today we are making the most traditional Zongzi. This video will guide you on how to make Zongzi and how to wrap a perfect Zongzi while enjoying the ASMR cooking, enjoy 😊
Zongzi Video Recipe
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time|
|20 dumplings||2 hours||1 hours 15 minutes||3 hours 15 minutes|
- 1kg glutinous rice
- 10 salted eggs
- 20 dried chestnuts
- 20 shiitake mushrooms
- 500g pork belly
- 65g dried shrimp
- 65g black-eyed peas
- 1tbsp thick soy sauce
- 2/3cup soy sauce
- 3tbsp sugar for seasoning
- Moderate salt for seasoning
- Moderate pepper for seasoning
- Bamboo leaves for wrapping
Watch the video tutorial for more details and tips
- Wash and soak chestnuts and glutinous rice in water for at least 6 hours.
- Soak the mushrooms until softened.
- Cut the pork belly in 2cm square and set aside.
- Once the mushrooms are softened, stir fry the pork belly with mushroom. Put the soy sauce, thick soy sauce, sugar, and 3 cups of water. Turn off the heat when it’s boiled and soak it for at least 6 hours.
- Separate the salted egg yolks and the egg white. Cut them into half.
- Cook the black-eyed peas and set aside.
- Remove the dirt on the chestnuts and stir fry until golden.
- Cut the dried shrimp into small pieces and stir fry until golden.
- Remove the mushrooms and pork belly from the soup. Put the glutinous rice and fried dried shrimp into the soup and cook until there is no excess soup remaining.
- Wash and soak the bamboo leaves. Wipe the bamboo leaves to remove excess water.
- Layer 2 bamboo leaves with the tip of the leaf facing inside. Fold to form a narrow cone.
- Put the sticky rice and all the fillings into it.
- Fold the bamboo leaves over to cover the top of the Zongzi. Fold the edge of the leaves to the left or right side of the Zongzi.
- Tie firmly with cooking string.
- Cook the Zongzi for about 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- 1kg 糯米
- 10 咸蛋
- 20 栗子
- 20 香菇
- 500g 五花肉/三层肉
- 65g 虾米
- 65g 眉豆
- 1tbsp 黑酱油
- 2/3cup 酱油
- 3tbsp 糖